1:20.3 Scale Carter Bros. 24' Box Car
BCE-24' Carter Brothers Box Car R-T-R $325.00 each.
Ventilator version R-T-R $350.00 each.
(click the above link to see a drawing of the ventilated box car.)
This eighth (8) ton narrow gauge box car was built by Carter Brothers of Newark, California in 1874 for the Monterey & Salinas Valley Railroad. The car was then sold to the Nevada Central Railroad in 1879 when the M.& S.V.R.R. was converted to standard gauge. It worked on the N.C.R.R.until 1938 when the line was abandoned. This car was on display in Las Vegas, Nevada in the 1960's and is now at Ardenwood Park in Newark, California awaiting restoration. This is the only example of a 24' Carter Brothers box car known to exist today.
This model is of a standard 24' Carter Brothers box car as ordered by many western railroads. The South Pacific Coast Railroad had 15 of these cars numbered 2-20 and 94-102 (even numbers only), and Nevada County Narrow Gauge Railroad had 15 of these cars numbered 2-30 (even numbers only).
Dimensions, specifications and graphics were taken from drawings by noted railroad historian Herman H. Darr. We offer this car in the following five configurations:
Version #1 - South Pacific Coast Railroad - Has early safety appliances, and hand brakes only. (As delivered by Carter Brothers.)
Version #2 - South Pacific Coast Railroad - Has later safety appliances, and type K air brake system.
Version #3 - Nevada County Narrow Gauge Railroad - Has early safety appliances, and early design side doors, with a single tall end door. Equipped with a straight air brake system.
Version #4 - Nevada County Narrow Gauge Railroad - Has later safety appliances, and rebuilt side doors, with a single tall end door. Equipped with type K air brake system.
Version #5 - Nevada Central Railroad - Has later safety appliances, and rebuilt side doors, with double small end doors. Equipped with type K air brake system.
1. All wood parts are laser cut by Fall River Productions.
2. All metal parts are rusted and weathered.
3. These cars have complete interior detailing including stud walls, horizontal sheathing and roof purlins and carlins.
4. Trucks designed by Fall River Productions with Sierra Valley metal wheel sets.
5. These cars may be ordered with either Kadee™ knuckle couplers or Hartford Products link and pin couplers. Please specify.
6. Custom lettering and numbering are available. Contact us for a quote.
7. These cars are true 1:20.3 scale but are visually compatible with most "G" scale narrow gauge equipment.
8. Please add $10.00 for shipping and handling per car. (UPS - ground.)
9. California resident add 7.25% state sales tax.
Drawing from Fall River Productions. Shown with Kadee™ couplers.
See text for options.