1:20.3 Scale Carter Bros. 24' Gondola
GCE-24'-1 Board Carter Brothers Gondola R-T-R $195.00 each.
GCE-24'-2 Board Carter Brothers Gondola R-T-R $205.00 each.
GCE-24'-3 Board Carter Brothers Gondola R-T-R $215.00 each.
These eight (8) ton gondolas are based on 24' flat cars built by Carter Brothers in Newark, California in the late 1800's. It was common practice for narrow gauge railroads to install sides and ends on flat cars to convert them to gondolas. These gondolas were used to haul any materials that required additional containment such as sand, gravel, ballast, coal etc.
Since these models are based on standard Carter Brothers 24' flat cars, they can be lettered for many western railroads and be historically correct. The South Pacific Coast Railroad, Nevada County Narrow Gauge Railroad, and Nevada Central Railroad all had 24' Carter Brothers flat cars on their rosters.
Dimensions and specifications for these cars were taken from drawings by noted railroad historian Herman H. Darr. We offer these cars in the following five configurations:
Version #1 - South Pacific Coast Railroad - has early safety appliances, and hand brakes only. (As delivered by Carter Brothers.)
Version #2 - South Pacific Coast Railroad - has later safety appliances, and type K air brake system.
Version #3 - Nevada County Narrow Gauge Railroad - has later safety appliances, and type K air brake system.
Version #3 - Nevada County Narrow Gauge Railroad - has later safety appliances, and straight air brake system.
Version #5 - Nevada Central Railroad - has later safety appliances, and type K air brake system.
1. All wood parts are laser cut by Fall River Productions.
2. Wood parts are distressed and weathered.
3. All metal parts are rusted and weathered.
4. Trucks designed by Fall River Productions with Sierra Valley metal wheel sets.
5. These cars may be ordered with either Kadee™ knuckle couplers or Hartford Products link and pins. Please specify.
6. Custom lettering and numbering are available. Contact us for a quote.
7. These cars are true 1:20.3 scale but are visually compatible with most "G" scale narrow gauge equipment.
8. Please add $10.00 for shipping and handling per car. (UPS - ground.)
9. California residents add 7.25% state sales tax.
10. This product is 100% designed and manufactured in the U.S.A.
Drawing from Fall River Productions. GCE-24'-2 two board gondola shown with Kadee™ couplers. See text for options.