Munger Mining Box Car
BCE-11' Box Car #M7
"By popular request" this little box car is being added to the "Munger Mining Co." maintenance-of-way train. John Zehner of Stockton, California inspired this one. It features the same 11' long frame, side doors and arched roof as the TCE-11' tool car/caboose. Because of their similarities a really neat train can be made up using a few of these box cars and a tool car serving as a caboose.
"House cars" like this were constructed to protect tools and other cargo from the effects of harsh weather. They were usually built in the shops of small industrial railroads by adding walls, doors and a roof to an existing flat car. This box car can also be used as an "Explosives Car" to carry dynamite to the mine for blasting. We can letter the side doors to make it a dynamite carrier for a small additional cost.
This car is typical of the shop built cars used on small industrial railroads from the 1870's well into the twentieth century. Like all the previous cars released in this series, this car follows the general construction and railroad practices of the day, rather than a specific prototype.
1. The car body is assembled from laser cut Basswood and plywood.
2. The side doors are operational allowing the interior to be viewed.
3. The exterior walls and ends are stained box car red.
4. The roof is covered with simulated tar paper.
5. All metal parts are rusted and weathered.
6. This car has a complete interior including stud walls and horizontal planking.
7. Each car is individually numbered in the order that it is produced or to your roster requirements.
8. All cars come with Sierra Valley 20" diameter metal wheel sets and Hartford Products sprung pedestals.
9. Outside hung brake beams and brake shoes are included.
10. Standard couplers are Hartford Products end sill mounted link and pins.
11. Modified Kadee knuckle couplers are available for an additional $5.00 per car.
They are modified to be mounted into the link and pin drawhead.
12. Please add $10.00 per car for "Explosives" lettering.
13. Add $10.00 for shipping per order. (Covers up to three cars - UPS ground.)
14. California residents add 7.25% state sales tax.
15. These cars are 100% designed and manufactured in the U.S.A.
This box car was reviewed in the following magazines:
"Garden Railways" - January/February, 2002
"Finescale Railroader" - December/January, 2002
"Steam in the Garden" Issue No. 63