Munger Mining Stock Car
SCE-11' Stock Car #M9
This stock car is based on our 11' flat car frame with sides, doors, ends and a roof added. The idea for this car originally came from Carl Pierce of Santa Rosa, California. He refers to the car as a "Munger milker mover" but in actuality it would most likely be used to transport mules and other beasts of burden to the mine or logging site. This is another example of a "shop built" car constructed by industrial railroads to fill a specific need. The initial design work for this car was done by John Clark of Fall River Productions, with final revisions and additions by Gary Watkins.
This type of "house car" was usually built up on an existing flat car. The other parts required were salvaged from "out of service" equipment or fabricated from whatever material that was readily available. With this in mind, we offer the stock car with two types of doors; regular wooden slats or ventilator type iron bars.
The 11' stock car is typical of the support or service equipment used on small industrial railroads from the early 1870's well into the middle of the twentieth century. Like all cars in the "Munger Mining Co." series, this car follows the general construction and railroad practices of the day, rather than a specific prototype.
1. The stock car body is assembled from laser cut Basswood and plywood.
2. The side doors are operational, allowing the loading and unloading of your scale livestock.
3. Optional ventilator type iron bar doors are available for an additional $10.00 per car.
4. Exterior of the car is stained a weathered Pullman green.
5. The roof is covered with simulated tar paper.
6. All metal parts are rusted and weathered.
7. Each car is individually numbered in the order that it's produced or to your roster requirements.
8. All cars come with Sierra Valley 20" diameter metal wheel sets and Hartford Products sprung pedestals.
9. Outside hung brake beams and brake shoes are included.
10. Standard couplers are Hartford Products end sill mounted link and pins.
11. Modified Kadee knuckles are available for an additional $5.00 per car.
They are modified to be mounted into the link and pin drawhead.
12. Add $10.00 for shipping per order. (Covers up to three cars - UPS ground.)
13. California residents add 7.25% state sales tax.
Stock Car with barred doors. See text.
Stock Car with slatted doors. See text.